Assignments and Assessment Criteria
A workshop with Dr Ian Terrell for Masters degree assignments
The objectives of this material is to suppoprt postgraduates to do their assignment well.
1. Make sure you undertand the tasks and assignmentSlides: "Your assignment" PowerPoint.
2. Make sure you undertand and write to the criteria.You need to be aware of
- The structure of assignments.
- The nature of MA criteria (i.e what the assessor is looking for)
- How to show the criteria in the assignments explicitly.
3. Focus on the key criteria:
- in depth knowledge and undertanding of your chosen area or topic. (literature review)
- synthesis, analysis, evaluation (model)
- scholarship and research skills (methodology and procedures)
- new perspectives and insights on key concpets (model)
4. Use Harvard referencing as standard and consistent style.
5. Make criteria explicit.
Refer to the wording of the criteria ("Above the review shows the key works in this field")
6. Make sure the narrative is clear about what you are showing the assessor and how it relates to the criteria.
Do not confuse the assessor with any old guff!!! Less is (sometimes) more...........
Do not hide your pass in plastic wallets!!!!
Read the 20 point scale.
We want an electronic submission (e.g in folder online) and a hard copies. (two for dissertations). From Sept 1st 2011 will not be returning assignments but feedback will continue to be sent to you.